Thursday, September 17, 2015

THE RESCUE MISSION

" 

I rescued an ant from ant-lion today. It felt good.

 "

I found her.
head nosed deep in death
lying diagonal in a hollow cone of earth.

I saw her.
legs shaking, gasping for freedom
Every limb in her body vibrating with terror.

The monster, the underground lion
With his jaws conveniently locked in  her throat,
A smile on his face, a surge of joy in his abdomen 
digesting the hunger: In preparation for an ant-meal.

I couldn't stand the sight. 
I stopped, stooped down with a stick in my palm and,
plucked her out of the starved mandibles of the monster
She ran off, in a traumatized frenzy.

As I went on I remembered a similar scenario:
A cross, four nails and a Man.
A picture of the ant conjured in my head,
The ant with my face on it

No comments:

Post a Comment